- WAC Lighting donated 500,000 masks to U.S. healthcare providers for COVID-19 relief.
- Foundation Building Materials (FBM) is donating thousands of N95 protective masks from its inventory to local hospitals.
- East Side Lumberyard Supply will distribute Avon Plastics product lines through the central Midwest region from two locations.
- Pella Corporation launched free virtual appointments to help with window and door replacement projects.
- Moynihan Lumber’s Beverly, Mass., location is moving operations to delivery only after an employee tested positive for COVID-19.
- Weyerhaeuser completed the sale of 630,000 acres of Montana timberlands to Southern Pine Plantations.
- Canfor is cutting back on its operations in Canada, Sweden, and the United States in response to the coronavirus.
- A worker at window manufacturer MI Windows and Doors’ Hegins, Pa.-facility tested positive for COVID-19.
- Lowe’s is committing $25 million to support the emerging needs of its associates, customers, and communities.
- New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy has designated LBM suppliers, manufacturers, and distributors as essential businesses. Connecticut, Delaware, and Maryland made similar designations.
- A Hampton Lumber employee in Tillamook, Ore., tested for coronavirus last week has received negative results.
- Interfor, West Fraser, and Western Forest announced major output curtailments due to COVID-19. Interfor will cut lumber production in British Columbia, the Pacific northwest, and the southern U.S. by 35 million board feet per week for two weeks. West Fraser will lower production at all sawmills in western Canada and the southern U.S. and Western Forest will shut down all manufacturing operations for one week.
- Fortress Building Products has been award its latest patent for a mounting system for its Fe²⁶, Fe²⁶ Plus, Al¹³ and Al¹³ HOME™ railing systems.
- Busy Beaver hardware and home improvement stores are open and operating at revised hours across the chain’s stores in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia.
- The Architectural Woodwork Manufacturers Association of Canada is cancelling its June 4-7 national convention.
- IKEA is temporarily closing all 50 of its locations in the United States in response to the coronavirus.
- Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf issued a mandatory shutdown order for many construction businesses in the state. Specialty contractors, residential construction building firms, nonresidential construction building firms, wood product manufacturing firms, and lumber and other construction wholesale merchant wholesalers in the state have been ordered to close. Building material and supply dealers, however, have been deemed essential and are allowed to remain open.
- Interfor is curtailing its lumber production in the Pacific northwest and the U.S. south by 35 million board feet per week, or about 60% of capacity, for the next two weeks.
- West Fraser is curtailing lumber production in the U.S. south by 15 million board feet per week, or 24% of capacity.
- The Department of Homeland Security determined the LBM industry to be critical in its Memorandum of Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During Covid-19 Response.
- Style Crest, a building products manufacturer and distributor to the manufactured housing sector, entered a distribution partnership with Shearer Supply, distributor of residential and commercial equipment, geothermal, and ductless brands.
- The 2020 National Hardware Show, scheduled for May 5-7 in Las Vegas, has been postponed due to the COVID-19 virus.
- The National Lumber and Building Material Dealers Association (NLBMDA) cancelled its spring meeting, scheduled for March 23-25 in Washington, D.C.
- The Lumbermen’s Association of Texas (LAT) canceled its 134th Annual Convention and Expo scheduled for April 6-8.
- Brand Vaughan Lumber has been recognized as a Top Midsized Workplace by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- An employee at Hampton Lumber’s Tillamook, Ore., lumber mill has been tested for coronavirus and advised by medical professionals to stay home pending results. The location was closed for one day to allow the facilities to be cleaned and sanitized.
- The DensElement Barrier System from Georgia-Pacific Building Products passed three water penetration resistance tests in accordance with ASTM E331.
- National Gypsum Company published SoundBook 2.0, a guide for sound-rated assemblies.
- Atlantic Plywood, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Parksite, is expanding business into the southeast and will be the exclusive Formica distributor in the Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta markets effective April 6.
- Chad Houser, CEO and executive chef at Cafe Momentum in Dallas, will keynote the 134th Lumbermen’s Association of Texas (LAT) Convention & Expo.
- Oldcastle APG announced Belgard pavers and Techniseal polymeric sand have joined Contractor Rewards, a free rewards program.
- SRS Distribution created an employee incentive program aimed at benefiting employees on the front lines.
- ToughBuilt Industries entered a distribution agreement with Distribution America.
- Simpson Strong-Tie launched a free online Pergola Planner Software tool for contractors, lumberyards, and homeowners.
- Vista Railing Systems is expanding its distribution network with the addition of Fargo Glass and Paint’s Sioux Falls, S.D., and Fargo, N.D., branches.
- Weyerhaeuser has temporarily closed its headquarters in Seattle, Wash., over concerns of the spreading coronavirus.
- BlueLinx Holdings completed a sale-leaseback transaction for its distribution facility in Elkhart, Ind.
- Palmer-Donavin is expanding its relationship with Allura USA by stocking ColorMax prefinished siding in all five of its building product distribution centers.
- Composite decking and railing manufacturer DuraLife launched the DuraLife Custom Length Program, offering custom length boards for all DuraLife decking and dock profiles and colors.
- The 2020 Ace Hardware Spring Convention has been cancelled amid concerns of coronavirus.
- Maibec acquired Louisiana Pacific’s East River facility located in Nova Scotia, Canada, along with assets and brand rights for CanExel, the fiber-based siding product manufactured at the facility.
- Do It Best Corp. launched the Do It Best Foundation to distribute grants to organizations that align with its giving pillars and generate the biggest impact in their communities.
- Oldcastle APG acquired dry mix manufacturer US Mix.
- Boise Cascade will distribute DuraLife Decking and Railing products in the mid-Atlantic region.
- Envision Building Product’s Distinction, Inspiration, and Expression decking collections are code approved for use as cladding.
- RapidMaterials, an e-commerce company specializing in tools and materials for the construction industry, launched its new website.
- Certified Appliance Accessories relaunched its website.
- The International Hardware Show planned for Cologne, Germany, for March 1, 2020, has been postponed to a new date in February 2021 in response to the recent occurrence of the coronavirus.
- DuraLife is now offering the DuraLife Custom Length Program for its deck boards.
- SRS Distribution signed a multi-year sponsorship agreement with professional golfer Cameron Champ.
- Fortress Building Products entered a distribution partnership with Hall Forest Products. The company will distribute Apex PVC Decking and Evolution Steel Deck Framing.
- Boise Cascade is permanently curtailing production at its I-joist facility in Roxboro, N.C.
- The Fenestration and Glazing Industry Alliance, the combination of the American Architectural Manufacturers Association and the Insulating Glass Manufacturing Alliance, launched a new brand and new logo.
- Marco Skylights launched a new website and logo that aims to refresh the brand to cater to its niche market.
- Barrette Outdoor Living, the manufacturer of DuraLife Decking and Railing, entered a distribution agreement with Wausau Supply Company.
- Masco completed the sale of its Masco Cabinetry business to ACProducts. Together, the two companies have come together to form Cabinetworks Group.
- Derby Building Products, the parent company of the Tando brand, entered a distribution partnership with Cameron Ashley Building Products. Story
- The Lumbermen’s Association of Texas (LAT) and Lumber Insurance Services (LIS) will continue its “Emerging Leader” program at the LAT’s 134th Convention and Expo.
- Cornerstone Building Brands’ three brands, Ply Gem, Simonton, and Environmental StoneWorks, have donated products to “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” on HGTV.
- LP Building Solutions is sponsoring the upcoming season of HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and donated five different products to the show.
- PGT Innovations is celebrating its 40-year business anniversary.
- Eagle Materials’ heavy materials business will be spun-off and named Eagle Materials and led by current president and CEO Michael Haack. The company’s light materials business will be named American Gypsum Company and Craig Kesler will serve as president and CEO of the company. Story
- Andersen Windows and Doors launched a new logo and a new tagline.
- Hansen Marketing Services will distribute Barrette Outdoor Living’s DuraLife decking and railing products in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana.
- Vista Railing Systems expanded its distribution partnership with BROSCO Distribution.
- Royal Building Products is celebrating its 50th business anniversary.
- Reel Lumber Service in California claims to be the first company in the world to stock HempWood, the reverse-engineered wood substitute.
- 84 Lumber launched a spin-off website, 84DesignStudios.com, which focuses on a full lineup of design services.
- Sherwin-Williams is planning to build a new global headquarters and a research and development center in Cleveland, Ohio.
- The AZEK Company filed a registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission related to a proposed initial public offering.
- US LBM will be featured on a segment of Military Makeover Operation Career, a TV series highlighting employers that provide rewarding career opportunities for veterans.
- Emery Jensen Distribution entered a national partnership with building materials distributor PrimeSource Building Products.
- BlueLinx Holdings completed the sale-leaseback of nine properties for aggregate net cash proceeds of $34 million. Article
- Conifex Timber closed its previously announced transaction with an affiliate of Resolute Forest Products for the sale of its El Dorado, Ark.; Cross City, Ark.; and Glenwood, Ark.; sawmills.
- The AZEK Company completed the acquisition of Return Polymers. Story
- SRS Distribution launched Roof Hub Desktop, the web-based extension of the Roof Hub mobile application. Article
- U.S. Lumber is now offering TruExterior Siding & Trim from Boral Building Products, expanding its existing footprint for the product lines by six locations. Story
- TAMKO Building Products is launching a collection of online resources to better educate homeowners, including a series of webpages highlighting the brand’s shingle colors, a section of the TAMKO website with articles and resources.
- Trex Company is expanding Amerhart distribution into eastern Kansas and western Missouri.
- Freres Lumber installed the Taihei Horizontal Press Model P25-AB, a horizontal hot press for laminating plywood after the gluing and prepressing processes.
- Home Depot launched a pro customer flatbed distribution center in Dallas, Texas.
- Cascade Windows acquired the assets of Amerimax Windows and Doors.
- CertainTeed will close its gypsum manufacturing plant in Cody, Wyo., in April. The company is currently working to sell the facility.
- Door hardware and security brand Schlage is celebrating its 100th anniversary.
- Caeserstone launched Masters of Stone, a health and safety program for fabricators and their employees
- Country music star Luke Bryan partnered with Cornerstone Building Brands as the 2020 Home for Good project ambassador.
- Conner Industries will open a new manufacturing plant in Tulsa, Okla., in February.
- GPS Insight, a provider of fleet software for organizations with vehicles, trailers, and other mobile assets, acquired Chicago-based ServiceBridge, a field service management software company.
- Simpson Strong-Tie announced the resolution of a patent dispute with the Ipe Clip Fastener Company related to the Simpson Strong-Tie EB-TY Premium Hidden Deck-Fastening System.
- Milwaukee Tool is expanding its United States footprint with a vertically integrated manufacturing plant in West Bend, Wis. The plant is expected to break ground in April.
- Built Technologies completed its acquisition of Lienwaivers.io, a leading provider of lien waiver management and payment solutions for commercial and residential construction.
- Beacon Roofing Supply announced its 40 brands across the U.S. and Canada that sell exterior products will be named Beacon Building Products.
- Hope’s Windows’ Jamestown175 Series hurricane pivot doors have passed stringent wind tests and are certified for use within hurricane and impact zones. The doors adhere to Miami-Dade County, Florida Building Code, and High Velocity Hurricane Zone standards.
- Chelsea Building Products partnered with Dealers Choice, for three of its Georgia locations for the full line and all colors offered in both Everlast Lap Siding and Everlast Board & Batten.
- Bliffert Lumber & Hardware debuted a pink delivery truck to support Susan G. Komen Wisconsin. The company will donate 20 cents for every mile driven by the pink truck in 2020.
- Shur-Line, Bulldog, and World and Main are changing their name to H2 Brands Group.
- Kansas City Truss changed its name to Premier Building Supply of Kansas City.
- ABC Supply partnered with “Military Makeover,” a TV show that provides free home remodels to deserving veterans and their families. The company was heavily involved in the renovation of U.S. Navy veteran Chris Hixon’s family’s home.
- Huber Engineered Woods plans to establish operations in Dillon County, S.C.
- Huber Engineered Woods achieved a negotiated settlement with RoyOMartin and Corrigan OSB in its patent infringement lawsuit. As part of the settlement, RoyOMartin has agreed to suspend sales of its Eclipse Weather Resistant Barrier products.
- Tractor Supply entered a partnership with Microsoft to support the technology architecture and modernization for the company’s ecommerce website and enterprise analytics platform.
- Boise Cascade opened a new Therma-Tru door shop in the North Texas market.
- B&B Lumber Company now owns the plant property of Harden Furniture in Jamesville, N.Y.
- Canada’s Kenora Forest Products has filed for bankruptcy and listed its sawmill for sale.
- The Leviton Load Center with Smart Circuit Breakers has been selected as the winner of the 2019 IoT Integration Award in the Home Enhancement category.
- Hyster-Yale Group has joined the National Lumber and Building Material Dealers Association’s (NLBMDA) Manufacturers and Services Council (MSC).
- Trex Company partnered with Danver Stainless Outdoor Kitchens.
- Building materials manufacturer AZEK is eyeing a public offering.
- LiftMaster and Yale Home entered a partnership to expand the myQ-connected ecosystem for smart home access.
- The American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) and the Insulating Glass Manufacturers Alliance (IGMA) have officially combined into one organization with a new name, the Fenestration and Glazing Industry Alliance (FGIA).
- Manufacturers Reserve Supply (MRS) now offers the full Benjamin Obdyke product line to the mid-Atlantic market.
- Universal Forest Products completed the reorganization of its operations and is now operating as UFP Industries.
- Resolute Forest Products is purchasing three U.S. sawmills from Conifex Timber.