- Stock Building Supply appointed Bryan J. Yeazel to the role of chief operating officer, and C. Lowell Ball to the position of senior vice president and general counsel. Read the story here.
- NyloBoard is now distributed to the Pacific Northwest, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest through Vandermeer Forest Products in Lynwood, Wash.; Holbrook Lumber in Guilderland, N.Y.; Cardinal Building Products in Leola, Pa.; Jim Mackie Distribution in Romulus, Mich.; and Dixie Plywood and Lumber in Charlotte, N.C.
Gem's Engineered Slate Roofing will be distributed by Parksite to building material dealers in 16 states throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic markets. The roofing product will be available in those regions by mid-July.
- Rinnai hired Frank Windsor to serve as the company's U.S. general manager.
- Cedar Creek promoted five employees to the role of vice president: Mark Corso, Mark Porter, Paul Wetmore, Mike Wilson, and Alex Averitt.
The trustees of the South Carolina Housing Hall of Fame inducted W.B. “Bill” Cox, Sr into the society for his work in and support of the area's housing industry.
- Jason McCulley was promoted to manager of the ABC Supply Syracuse, N.Y., branch. The company also named branch manager Frank Novascone III as the recipient of this year’s Ken Hendricks Award.
- Ponderosa Software, a building materials software company, hired Sarah C. Bell as a business development manager.
- Stimson Lumber reached an agreement with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to build a 590-foot private road on public land west of Forest Grove, Ore.
- Michael Verde will fabricate custom millwork, doors, cabinetry, and moldings for Riverhead Building Supply.
- Boral expanded distribution of TruExterior Trim in Florida through a partnership with Universal Building Specialties and Mako Rep Group.
- Verlon W. Mueller, former president and manager of Clark Lumber in Herington, Kan., died Wednesday, June 11, at the age of 90.
- ABC Supply promoted Jason Hirsch to manager of its Fort Wayne, Ind., branch on Research Drive.
- Parr Lumber named Jeff Boles district manager of the company’s Valley/South region.
- Forest2Market promoted Gordon
Culbertson to the role of Pacific Northwest region manager and Peter
Coutu to the position of sales director of North America.
- Hammond Lumber received two awards from the Northeast Lumber Manufacturers Association for outstanding safety performance in 2013 at its sawmill in Belgrade, Maine.
- The New Jersey Building Material Dealers Association will become an affiliate of the Northeastern Retail Lumber Association, effective July 1.
- Kevin McElroy has been appointed to the position of CEO and president of Nuheat Industries.
- Home Depot borrowed $2 billion on a bond sale to repurchase its own shares.
- Drexel was awarded #2 Top Workplace in Wis. for Mid-Sized Companies by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Jai Shah has been appointed to president of Delta Faucet Company and group vice president of Masco Corporation. Ken Roberts also appointed to vice president of international for the company.
- Huttig Building Products extended its borrowing capacity from $120 million to $160 million.
- Best Bath Systems appointed Greg Wells to the role of director of marketing.
a Belgian developer and manufacturer of sun shading and ventilation systems, will distribute its products in the U.S.
- Boise-based BMC is moving its headquarters to Atlanta to access to a larger consumer base and better airline service.
- Parr Lumber appointed Carl Moyer as its training and development facilitator.
- Masisa plans to launch Masisa Tricoya Super MDF in Latin America.
- Paula Siewert, the longtime president of the
Northwestern Lumber Association (NLA), passed away on May 24, 2014.
- The Atlanta chapter of The Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), named Robert Bowden in the 2014 Georgia Fast 40.
- Lowe's named Michael A. Tummillo senior vice president and general merchandising manager of building and maintenance. He replaces Michael P. McDermott, who became the company's chief merchandising officer.
- Tibbetts Lumber promoted Russ Hallenbeckto senior vice president and Bob Fehr, Jr., to vice president. The company also hired Erik Olson as the new Manager of the newly opened Ocala, Fla., operation.
- ABC Supply promoted Mike Schwarz to executive director of purchasing and merchandising.
- Capital Lumber will distribute WOLF PVC decking to the West Coast from the company's Tacoma, Wash., location.
- Huttig will distribute Woodgrain Millwork's Finished Elegance line in the
- Weston Forest Products will distribute for California Redwood Company in Eastern Canada and select states in the USA.
- Weyerhaeuser named Jeff Rettig, a 14 year veteran of the company, director of U.S. sales for its Trus Joist engineered lumber division.
BlueLinxappointed Susan C. O'Farrell to the role of CFO. She replaces Doug Goforth, who is leaving the Company to pursue other interests.
- Mike Schwarz has been promoted to executive director of purchasing and merchandising for ABC Supply.
- Do it Best recognized its Waco, Texas, retail service center team for four consecutive years without any lost time due to a safety incident or injury.
- S&E Building
Materials, based in Brooklyn, N.Y., won a Gold Hermes Creative Award in the Website
Overall/Business to Consumer category for developing the new website, sebuilding.com.
- The Drake Group, a group made up of 68 leading specialty distributors, presented CertainTeed Insulation with a Vendor of the Year Award at the company's winter meeting in Dallas.
- Weyerhaeuser appointed Jeff Rettig to U.S. sales director for its Trus Joist Engineered Lumber division.
- LP Building Products recently promoted Jamey Barnes to vice president of Oriented Strand Board (OSB) operations.
- Leonard Y. Safrit Jr., the third-generation owner of Safrit’s Building Suppy in Beaufort, N.C., was named the 2014 recipient of the Dr. Joseph T. Barwick Civic Award by the Carteret Community College board of trustees.
- Associated Materials Group, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, appointed Brian C. Strauss president, CEO, and a member of its board of directors.
- Chandler Moore was named manager of ABC Supply’s Santa Fe, Calif., location.
- Duncan (Okla.) Builders Supply marked its 50th anniversary in May.
- Thorold (Ontario) Lumber and Rental celebrated its 100th year in business.
- Feuer Lumber founder Martin Feuer was named Citizen of the Year by the Atkinson, N.H., Lion's Club.
- Andy Mayhew is Smith Mountain Building Supply's new business development manager.
- Blase Grady left his COO position at Magbee Contractors Supply to become Carter Lumber's market manager in Atlanta.
- Robert Bowden, a wholesale manufacturer of building materials in Atlanta, was named the 33rd fastest growing company in the city by the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
- Do It Best appointed Gary Hoffmann to the newly created role of national multi-location sales and business development manager.
- A federal jury in New York returned a guilty verdict against Rodney Watts, the former chief investment officer of construction supply company GDC Acquisitions LLC on charges of bank fraud, false statements, and conspiracy to commit bank fraud.
- Saint-Gobain plans to turn a vacant complex in Malvern, Pa., into the company's new U.S. headquarters.
- Vandermeer Forest Products will distribute Deceuninck's Clubhouse PVC Decking in western Mont., Wash., northern Idaho, Ore., Ala., and Hawaii.
- Berger Building Products in Lancaster, Penn., celebrated 140 years of business.
- The Building Material Suppliers Association appointed Lynn Schwarz to the role of president, andCindy Hartley to the position of vice president and secretary.
- Do it Best hired Eric Knox to the position of regional sales and business development manager.
- Regal Ideas will distribute Boise Cascade's Regal Aluminum Railings through their Delanco, N.J. location.
- Delta Gypsum named Michael Dolan general manager of the company's Wake Forest, N.C., branch and hired Jason Ellis and Charles Keller as logistics manager and sales coordinator, respectively.
- Middle Tennessee Lumber in Burns, Tenn., hired Glenn Miller to the role of quality manager.
- The Building Material Suppliers Association appointed Lynn Schwarz president and promoted Cindy Hartley to vice president and secretary effective on April 3, 2014.
- Jimmy Knapp, formerly VP of sales at Hallmark Building Supplies, was named VP of business development for Weatherization Partners.
- Franklin Building Supply in Boise, Idaho, banned its drivers from using mobile phones while behind the wheels of the company's 243 vehicles.
- U.S. Lumber, in Duluth, Ga., will distribute Royal Building Products throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic areas.
- Matheus Lumber in Woodinville, Wash., hired Bryan Ashbaugh to lead outside sales and marketing throughout the Puget Sound region.
- Erie Materials in Syracuse, N.Y., promoted Tim Blaisdell to inside sales representative at its Auburn, N.Y., location.
- Kevin Kelly and Dave Nickodemus joined the sale team at Marlin Lumber Sales in Albertson, N.Y.
- The Forest Resources Association’s Appalachian region and STIHL honored Sam Trott of Trott Lumber in Shelbyville, Tenn., as its 2013 Outstanding Logger.
- Kolbe & Kolbe Millwork named Jeff De Lonay as company president.
- Home builder Lennar implemented CertainTeed's AirRenew Essential IAQ Gypsum Board in its three home collections at Pavilion Park in Irvine, Calif.
- Mike Williamson was promoted to territory manager at Erie Materials. He will service the Auburn, N.Y., location.
- The city of Niagara Falls, N.Y., awarded a $10,000 grant to Greater Niagara Building Center, which opened about six weeks ago.
- Jonas Kelly, co-owner of JAY-K Lumber, was named chair of the the Northeastern Retail Lumber Association.
- 84 Lumber partnered with the Pittsburgh Pirates, who will advertise the company throughout PNC Park during the 2014 season.
- Marcia Mickle has been named plant manager for the American Construction Metals plant in Lodi, Cali.
- Stimson Lumber in Portland, Ore., contributed $100,000 to four state political candidates, three of which are running in November's state legislature vote.
- Benson Lumber and Hardware was named New Hampshire's retailer of the year by the New Hampshire Retail Association.
- An upcoming episode of the home improvement show, "A Taste of New York," will feature TimberTechcomposite decking during a segment on outdoor living spaces.
- MFM Building Products trademarked the company’s WindowWrap line of window and door flashing tapes.
- GAF awarded $13,545 to Frank Thompson of Sweetwater Builders in Cranberry, Penn. as part of its giveaway at the 2014 International Builders Show.
- BlueLinx now distributes Armadillo Composite Decking from its Houston, Texas location.
- Deceuninck North America, announced a distribution partnership with Forest Products Supply Kansas City, a division of Forest Products Supply.
- Bob Gordon joined Professional Builders Supply as Charlotte market president.
- William Harold Bender, namesake and founder of Bender Lumber, died on Mar. 9 at the age of 102.
- KC Cox of Weyerhaeuser won Associate Member Representative of the Year, Rufus Duncan ofHBC/Higginbotham Companies won Lumberman of the Year, and Brenda Elliott of Temple-Inland/Georgia Pacific won a Lifetime Achievement award to be presented at this year's LAT Convention on Apr. 23-24.
- USG and Boral formed USG Boral Building Products, a joint venture aimed at creating building products for sale across Asia, Australasia and the Middle East.
- South Mountain Hardwood Flooring, manufacturer of hardwood materials and flooring headquartered in Great Neck, N.Y., appointed of Jack Bostwick to the role of national sales manager.
- Fleet tracking provider Navman Wireless USA unveiled 3G editions of its on- and off-highway GPS tracking devices.
- Thomasville, N.C.,-based Prime Lumber received the 2014 N.C. Exporter of the Year award from theNorth Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- National Lumber promoted Brandy Souza to general manager of kitchen views, the company's cabinetry and design division.
- VERSATEX Trimboard hired four regional market development specialists due to growing demand for the product: Josh Diaz, of New Britain, Conn., Chad Domrase, of Mason, Mich.; Tom Hartman, of Williamsburg, Va.; and Bryan Hord, of Louisville, Ky.
- The Construction Suppliers Association appointed Alex Hill, owner of Hill’s Ace Hardware & Lumber Center in Winder and Loganville, Ga. as its new chairman.
- Boston Cedar launched a new education center located within the company's distribution complex which is located in Mansfield, Mass.
- Houzz.com gave Lakeland Building Supply in Chicago a Best of Houzz 2014 award for the company's high ratings.
- PROSALES columnist and New South Construction Supply CEO Jim Sobeck published a new book, "The Real Business 101: Lessons From the Trenches." Find it on Amazon and Smashwords.
- The Greater Beaumont Chamber of Commerce bestowed its annual Spindletop Award for good business practice to Ritter Lumber Company in Lufkin, Texas.
- Todd Buehl has been promoted to CFO and treasurer of building products distributor ABC Supply Company.
- Weyerhaeuser appointed Denise Merle to senior vice president of Human Resources.
- Thomasville Lumber in Thomasville, N.C. is the state's exporter of the year according to the Winston-Salem Journal.
- McCoy's Building Supply promoted Meagan McCoy Jones to senior vice president and chief operating officer, James Lewallen to vice president of culture and customer experience, and Waylon Walker to vice president of store operations.
- The Louisiana Economic Development Corp. granted incentives that total $2.25 million to Minnesota-based Lube Tech and Bayou State Lumber of Livonia, La.
- A list of companies that includes L&W Supply have not yet had their Chinese drywall settlements claims processed.
- Dudley Lumber faces $106,000 in fines from OSHA.
- ABC Supply named Todd Buehl as chief financial officer and treasurer of building products.
- The Western Building Material Association (WBMA) named Bill Mackie of Madison Lumber and Hardware, Ketchikan, Alaska, as its Dealer of the Year. It also named its 2014 officers: P resident Mike Werner of Builders Alliance, vice president Steve Kerr of Kerr's Ace Hardware, and second vice president Charley Miller of Miller Lumber.
- Dave Lowry became plant manager at the Roseburg's engineered wood product facility in Riddle, OR.
- National Gypsum promoted John Mixson to the position of vice president of sales and marketing.
- The SFPA Board of Directors appointed Tami Kessler to serve as executive director
- Peter Thomson took over the role of vice president of sales at NuHeat Industries.
- Jay-K Lumber president Dean Kelly is in Sochi volunteering as a curling results supervisor for the XXII Winter Olympic Games.
- Matthew Pedersen, son-in-law of Alki Lumber's Jim Sweeney, erected a permanent memorial outside the business to memorialize the much-loved Sweeney, who passed away in 2012.
- ProBuild restored the San Lorenzo Lumber name to its lumberyards in Santa Cruz, Felton, and Salinas, Cali., as well as its millwork centers in Santa Cruz and Soque, Cali.
- Anchor Lumber in Victoria, Texas turned 102 this year.
- The Construction Suppliers Association named the owner of Hill's Ace Hardware and Lumber, Alex Hill, as its 2014 chairman of the board.,
- Laceyville Lumber in Laceyville, Pa. promoted Luella Ruhf to operations manager.
- Aurora, Ill.-based Alexander Lumber’s CEO Walter Alexander retired after 54 years of work. He is succeeded by Newell E LaVoy.
- Tague Lumber in Philadelphia promoted Thomas J. Vanleer to vice president of sales and marketing.
- Bob Gumash was promoted to regional sales and business development manager at Fort Wayne-basedDo it Best Corp.
- Nisbet Brower in Cincinnati promoted Rodney Bays to executive vice president and general manager of the company.
- Nick Stokes was preemptively appointed president of Boise Cascade’s Building Materials Distribution business after former president Stan Bell decided to retire this March.
- Mule-Hide Products tapped low-slope business manager Jonathan Shepard to lead as president.
- Mountain States Lumber & Building Material Dealers Association named Bill Moore Jr., owner ofMoore Lumber and Hardware in Bailey, Colo., Lumberman of the Year.
- Brian Carlson is now manager of Burton Lumber’s turnkey/install services, a position created for him.
- EarthWise Group, a national network of locally owned, independent manufacturers, celebrated its ten-year anniversary.
- Masco Home Services received the 2013 KB Home Sustainability Leadership Award for transforming how builders view energy efficiency and air quality.
- Dana Snyder became interim CEO at Associated Materials after former CEO Jerry Burris stepped down.
- Sean Smith joined ProSec as the company’s new director of strategic growth.
- Senco financed a $25 million senior revolving credit facility and a $42.5 million first lien loan to finance growth and a one-time distribution to shareholders.
- Snavely Forest Products brought on Scott Bosse as their newest senior account manager in Baltimore.
- WOLF named Craig Danielson as the company’s CEO to replace 6th generation family member Tom Wolf.
- Steve Reuter was promoted to executive director of American Construction Metals, a unit of ABC Supply.
- Trex captured three first-place rankings in Builder magazine's annual brand use study for "brand familiarity," "brand used the most," and "brand used in the past two years" for the composite/PVC decking category as ranked by builders and contractors.
- The Forest Resources Association honored Sam Trott, co-owner of Trott Lumber in Shelbyville, Tenn., as Outstanding Logger for the Appalachian region.
- Online building supplies dealer SupplyHog in Chattanooga, Tenn., partnered with BlueTarp to manage in-house credit program.
- North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory appointed Albemarle Builders Supply general manager Frankie Meads to the North Carolina Building Code Council. Meads is also vice-chairman of Independent Builders Supply Association.
- Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway increased its ownership stake in sheetrock maker USG to 30.5%.
- Gary Berry, 54, owner of Berry Brothers Lumber in Adams, N.Y., died in a hazardous materials accident at the lumberyard on Jan. 1.