Lumber production across the United States in the first quarter fell 28.3% from the year-earlier period to total 5.47 billion board feet, the Western Wood Products Association (WWPA) reported. Meanwhile, production in Canada slid 24.9% in the same period to total 4.64 billion board feet.
Here are the numbers by region as released Thursday by the Portland, Ore.-based WWPA:
- Coastal West: Down 26.6% to 1.48 billion board feet
- Inland West: Down 35.0% to 813 million board feet
- California Redwood: Down 35.7% to 85 million board feet
- Total for the West: Down 30.0% to 2.38 billion board feet
- South: Down 26.8% to 2.80 billion board feet
- Rest of U.S.: Down 28.3% to 289 million board feet
- Total U.S.: Down 28.3% to 5.47 billion board feet
- British Columbia: Down 30.4% to 2.22 billion board feet
- Prairies and Eastern Canada: Down 19.0% to 2.42 billion board feet
- Total Canada: Down 26.8% to 4.64 billion board feet
Total North America: Down 26.8% to 10.11 billion board feet.