Building Material Dealers In The News - October 2012
- The West Coast Lumber & Building Material Association elected Augie Venezia of Fairfax Lumber & Hardware as its president for 2013. Mark Ganahl of Ganahl Lumber will serve as first vice president, Sean Fogarty of Osborne Lumber will be second vice president, and Bobby Senften of Friedman's Home Improvement will serve as treasurer. All are based in California.
- Lamson Lumber, Hudson, Mass., celebrated 125 years in business Oct. 12. The company began as an ice-making business and began selling building materials in the second half of the 20th century.
- Carter Lumber renovated its Robinson, Ill., facility and hosted a celebratory event at the store Saturday, Oct. 20.
- The National Lumber and Building Material Dealers Association presented Chairman's Awards last week to 2008 chairman Harold Baalmann of B&B Lumber Co., Wichita, Kan.; outgoing association services council chair Carlos Guilherme of Weyerhaeuser; and the Oklahoma Lumbermen’s Association.
- Galen Acra Sr., the semi-retired owner of Leo (Ind.) Builders Supply, died Friday, Oct. 26. He was 81.
- Miami-based Shell Lumber received some press last week for the hot dog stand that’s inside the yard store.
- Officials at Sandpoint Building Supply in Ponderay, Idaho, say a former bookkeeper embezzled more than $30,000 from 2008 to 2011. The woman confessed to the thefts when company officials confronted her in December 2011, saying that she wrote orders for returned merchandise and applied the proceeds to her personal credit cards.
- Tart Lumber Co., Sterling, Va., last week hosted a rally in support of the Republican campaign, with Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal encouraging locals to vote.
- TW Perry hired Jackie Browning to serve as a regional business development officer in the dealer’s newly expanded Baltimore facility. Browning owned the Window and Door Planning Center in Baltimore for 25 years.
- Pearland (Texas) Lumber celebrated 60 years in business at a celebration Friday, Sept. 28, that included local business leaders.
- LBM dealer TimberTown Austin (Texas) revamped its website to offer more product and project information for its selection of outdoor living products and lumber and building materials.
- Spenard Builders Supply, a division of ProBuild, is celebrating 60 years of doing business in Alaska with a host of events at its stores statewide.
- MaxYield Lumber & Supply in Garner, Iowa hopes to remain open pending insurance and fire-marshal reviews following a fire last Thursday that damaged inventory and some buildings.