Mark Hunter offered advice on how to “upsell” at the Remodeling Leadership Conference in May. His tips were:
1. Match the higher-margin item with the customer’s critical need and/or time line.
2. Lead with a question before showing anything or discussing any options.
3. Always have options. Contrast each item you discuss.
4. Always keep the higher-margin fixture, item or project visible when meeting with the customer.
5. The higher-margin item is always the answer until the customer says otherwise.
6. Allow the customer to hold a picture of the higher-margin item. Before you present the picture, write the customer’s name at the top.
7. Match higher-margins item with benefits, such as lifestyle, convenience, aesthetics, resale, and energy savings.—Contact Mark Hunter at 402.445.2110 or thesaleshunter.com.